- Not to be confused with Part 14.
"Episode 14", or, "Lonely Souls" is the seventh episode of the second season of Twin Peaks, and the fifteenth episode overall.
"A poem as lovely as a tree.―Margaret Lanterman[src]
As the night wind blows, the boughs move to and fro; the rustling, the magic rustling that brings on the dark dream. The dream of suffering and pain; pain for the victim, pain for the inflicter of pain – a circle of pain, a circle of suffering.
Woe to ones who behold the pale horse."
Harry tells the officers that everything is set to go at the Great Northern. The one-armed man repeats his description of the large house, made of wood, surrounded by trees, the house is filled with many rooms, each alike, but occupied by different souls night after night. Cooper sends Hawk to investigate the pages from the diary found near the train tracks and the diary that Donna told him about. Gordon is leaving for secret business in Oregon.
Mike looks at each hotel guest and employee and says "No." He has a seizure as Ben interrupts them.
A police car with the siren blaring speeds down a road. Harold's home is trashed. Hawk enters after knocking and receiving no answer. Harold's body is dangling from his greenhouse rafters.
The police forensic team and officers investigate Harold's home. He left a suicide note saying, in French, "I am a lonely soul." Hawk finds Laura Palmer's secret diary ripped to shreds.
Bobby, Shelly, and Leo sit at the table going over the bills. After all of the payments are made they have $42 left over from Leo's insurance. Shelly tells Bobby to take the necklace back. The police have seized the truck. Leo cries out, and Shelly and Bobby scream. Leo says "new shoes." Bobby sends Shelly to find a receipt for a pair of Leo's shoes she took to get cleaned.
Audrey tells Ben that she knows about One Eyed Jack's. She reminds him about Prudence and the white mask. He confesses he's owned One-Eyed Jack's for five years, knew that Laura worked there, and that he slept with her. When Audrey asks if he killed her, he says he loved her.
Bobby and his friend Mike enter the Johnson home. Bobby has Leo's old boots and tries to get Leo to react. Bobby finds a tape hidden in the heel of the boot.
Cooper makes note for Diane while examining Laura Palmer's secret diary, which has been reconstructed. There are repeated references to BOB, with descriptions of abuse and molestation. He is referred to as a friend of her father's. An entry says she will tell the world about Ben Horne one day. Audrey enters and tells Cooper that Ben was sleeping with Laura, and that Ben owns One-Eyed Jack's. Cooper asks Audrey not to repeat this to anyone. Cooper tells Harry they need a warrant for the arrest of Benjamin Horne.
Ben tells Tojamura that Jerry has investigated his company and that they have approved his proposal. He is about to sign Tojamura's contract when the police officers enter and request that Ben accompany them for questioning regarding the murder of Laura Palmer. Ben tells them to leave, and Hawk and Andy grab and cuff him.
A record spins blankly at the Palmers' home. Sarah crawls down the stairs, moaning for Leland.
Sarah crawls through the living room. She has a vision of a white horse in the living room before passing out. Behind her, Leland adjusts his tie in the mirror.
A blonde performs on stage at the roadhouse. Donna and James sit at a booth. James says the death of Harold Smith was not anybody's fault. The log lady leads Cooper and Harry into the roadhouse. James tells Donna that Maddy is leaving. Sailors drink at the bar, as does Bobby. Cooper has a vision of the performing band disappearing, replaced by the Giant, who says, "It is happening again."
Leland smiles at himself in the mirror. BOB smiles back. Leland puts on a pair of latex gloves. Maddy shouts that something smells like it's burning. She enters the living room, sees Sarah on the floor, and flees at the sight of Leland. BOB/Leland pulls her back into the room, chokes her, and beats her unconscious. Then he picks her up and spins her around while continually changing form, kissing her face and sobbing Laura's name. He suddenly smashes her head against a picture frame and then pushes a letter under her fingernail.
Cooper and The Giant stare at each other. The Giant disappears and the band re-appears. The senile room service man walks over to Cooper and says he is sorry. Donna bursts into tears and James holds her. Cooper looks around thoughtfully.
- Kyle MacLachlan as Special Agent Dale Cooper
- Michael Ontkean as Sheriff Harry S. Truman
- Madchen Amick as Shelly Johnson
- Dana Ashbrook as Bobby Briggs
- Richard Beymer as Benjamin Horne
- Lara Flynn Boyle as Donna Hayward
- Sherilyn Fenn as Audrey Horne
- Warren Frost as Dr. Will Hayward
- Peggy Lipton as Norma Jennings
- James Marshall as James Hurley
- Everett McGill as Big Ed Hurley
- Jack Nance as Pete Martell
- Kimmy Robertson as Lucy Moran (credit only)
- Ray Wise as Leland Palmer
- Joan Chen as Jocelyn Packard (credit only)
- Eric Da Re as Leo Johnson
- Harry Goaz as Deputy Andy Brennan
- Michael Horse as Deputy Tommy 'Hawk' Hill
- Sheryl Lee as Maddy Ferguson
- Grace Zabriskie as Sarah Palmer
- Wendy Robie as Nadine Hurley
- Al Strobel as Phillip Michael Gerard
- David Lynch as FBI Regional Bureau Chief Gordon Cole
- Fumio Yamaguchi as Mr. Tojamura
- Gary Hershberger as Mike Nelson
- Catherine E. Coulson as The Log Lady
- Julee Cruise as Singer
- Carel Struycken as Giant
- Hank Worden as Waiter
- Dave Bean as Sheriff's Deputy 
- Kellie Lumb as USO Girl 
- Chris Morrissey as Barfly 
- Frank Silva as BOB
- unknown performer as Lady with the Shaking Hand
- When Twin Peaks was rerun on the Bravo cable network in 1993, at the exact moment the killer begins strangling Maddy, the "Bravo" logo appeared on the screen as if applauding Maddy's murder.
- The scene with Leland/BOB killing Maddy was alternately filmed with Ben Horne as the murderer. This was done in order to disseminate rumors to the public that Horne indeed was the killer. However, this footage has never been released.
- Andy Brennan
- Betty Briggs (Mentioned only)
- Bobby Briggs
- Garland Briggs (Mentioned only)
- Gordon Cole
- Dale Cooper
- Julee Cruise
- Diane Evans (Mentioned only)
- Maddy Ferguson
- Donna Hayward
- Will Hayward
- Audrey Horne
- Benjamin Horne
- Jerry Horne (Mentioned only)
- Ed Hurley
- James Hurley
- Nadine Hurley
- Norma Jennings
- Leo Johnson
- Shelly Johnson
- Margaret Lanterman
- Catherine Martell
- Pete Martell
- Mike Nelson
- Pale horse
- Laura Palmer (Photograph only)
- Leland Palmer
- Sarah Palmer
- Harold Smith (Corpse only)
- Harry S. Truman