- Not to be confused with Part 2.
"Sometimes ideas, like men, jump up and say, 'Hello!' They introduce themselves, these ideas, with words – are they words? These ideas speak so strangely.―Margaret Lanterman[src]
All that we see in this world is based on someone's ideas. Some ideas are destructive, some are constructive. Some ideas can arrive in the form of a dream. I can say it again: Some ideas arrive in the form of a dream."
The Horne family sits at the dinner table in silence until Jerry enters, returning from his trip to Paris, bringing brie and butter baguettes to share with Ben. After quite enjoying the sandwich, Ben takes Jerry aside to tell him about Laura's murder and the Norwegian businessmen leaving the hotel. He also notes that there is a new girl at One Eyed Jack's, and that one of the brothers was "first in line," so they take a boat to the brothel.
Ben and Jerry arrive at One Eyed Jack's and order drinks. The madame, Blackie O'Reilly, brings out the girls and the Horne brothers toss a coin for the new girl. Ben wins, so Jerry has a drink with Blackie.
James insists to Donna that their relationship is not wrong, believing that they would have still ended up together if Laura had not died, citing that he had feelings for her before.
Cooper returns to his room at the Great Northern and receives a phone call from Deputy Hawk, who informs him that Ronette has recently quit her job at Horne's Department Store and that he saw a one-armed man at the hospital. After he hangs up, Cooper is delivered a note that reads, "Jack with One Eye."
Bobby and Mike go out to the woods to pick up a supply of cocaine from Leo. However, not all of the expected supply was there and Leo was present along with another man. They discussed the money situation, and Leo stated his suspicion that Shelly was cheating on him. He told them to "go out for a pass" and threw the football onto the hood of the car Bobby and Mike took to the woods.
Shelly turns off her television that is playing Invitation to Love, then there is a knock on her door. She is hesitant to let Bobby inside, as she had clearly been beaten by Leo. However, he gets inside and upon seeing her, he promises that he will kill Leo if he abuses her again.
Lucy serves the lawmen some coffee and Cooper presented them the "Tibetan method," which entailed him throwing stones at a bottle for each name starting with a 'J.' This narrowed down his suspicion to Leo Johnson and Lawrence Jacoby. He was also informed that the "Jack with One Eye" probably referred to One Eyed Jack's.
Audrey goes to the Double R Diner, where she talks to Donna, revealing the crush she has on Agent Cooper. She also asks if Laura ever spoke of her father, then begins to dance.
Cooper and Truman examine a bloodied rag found near the crime scene as Agent Albert Rosenfield arrives with his team. Immediately, there is friction between Rosenfield and Truman due to the former's dissatisfaction with the small town's investigation abilities.
Ed returns home and an overjoyed Nadine tells him that he had gotten grease on her cotton balls, creating the silent drape runner she had been trying to achieve.
At the Blue Pine Lodge, Pete and Catherine discuss Agent Cooper's presence at their home earlier in the day. When Catherine is briefly away, Pete slips to Josie a key to the safe containing the mill's ledger. Josie gets into the safe and finds that there are two ledger books.
A distressed Leland puts on a record and picks up a photo of Laura. He turns around in circles with it, screaming until Sarah comes in, distressed. She tries to take the picture from him and they end up breaking the frame. Leland smears his blood on the photograph.
Cooper goes to bed and has a dream of the One-Armed Man (who identifies himself as MIKE), and a long-haired man called BOB. He then sees himself 25 years older, sporting from top to bottom the following lapel pins on his suit: a masonic logo, a flame and a 25 Years Of Service Red Citation Bar. In the red room also are a little man and Laura Palmer, who whispers the name of her killer into his ear. He wakes up and calls Sheriff Truman, telling him that he knows who killed Laura Palmer, but that the information could wait until morning.
- Kyle MacLachlan as Special Agent Dale Cooper
- Michael Ontkean as Sheriff Harry S. Truman
- Madchen Amick as Shelly Johnson
- Dana Ashbrook as Bobby Briggs
- Richard Beymer as Benjamin Horne
- Lara Flynn Boyle as Donna Hayward
- Sherilyn Fenn as Audrey Horne
- Warren Frost as Dr. Will Hayward
- Peggy Lipton as Norma Jennings
- James Marshall as James Hurley
- Everett McGill as Big Ed Hurley
- Jack Nance as Pete Martell
- Ray Wise as Leland Palmer
- Joan Chen as Jocelyn Packard
- Piper Laurie as Catherine Martell
- Eric Da Re as Leo Johnson
- Harry Goaz as Deputy Andy Brennan
- Michael Horse as Deputy Tommy "Hawk" Hill
- Sheryl Lee as Laura Palmer
- Russ Tamblyn as Dr. Jacoby (credit only)
Guest Starring Edit
- Grace Zabriskie as Sarah Palmer
- David Patrick Kelly as Jerry Horne
- Miguel Ferrer as FBI Agent Albert Rosenfield
- Victoria Catlin as Blackie O'Reilly
- Wendy Robie as Nadine Hurley
- Kimmy Robertson as Lucy Moran
- Jan D'Arcy as Sylvia Horne
- Mary Jo Deschanel as Eileen Hayward
- Gary Hershberger as Mike Nelson
- Michael J. Anderson as Man From Another Place
- Robert Bauer as Johnny Horne
- Kim Lentz as Bartender
- Frank Silva as Killer Bob
- Charlie Spradling as Swabbie
- Al Strobel as One Armed Man
- Jill Engels as Trudy Chelgren
- Don LaFontaine as Invitation to Love's announcer 
- Clay Wilcox as Bernard Renault
- Connie Woods as New Girl at One Eyed Jack's 
- unknown performer as Albert's assistant #1
- unknown performer as Albert's assistant #2
- Created by Mark Frost and David Lynch
- Music Composed and Conducted by Angelo Badalamenti
- Produced by Gregg Fienberg
- Written by Mark Frost and David Lynch
- Directed by David Lynch
- Executive Producers
- Mark Frost
- David Lynch
- Associate Producer Phillip Neel
- Director of Photography Frank Byers
- Production Designer Richard Hoover
- Editor Jonathon P. Shaw
- Original & Series Casting by Johanna Ray, C. S. A.
- Director of Photography Ron Garcia
- Production Designer and Costume Designer Patricia Norris
- Production Manager Gregg Fienberg
- Unit Production Manager Robert D. Simon
- 1st Assistant Director Scott Cameron
- 2nd Assistant Directors
- Christopher T. Gerrity
- Deepak Nayar
- Production Supervisor Tim Harbert
- 1st Assistant Camera Rudy Fenenga, Jr.
- 2nd Assistant Camera Beth Cotter
- Art Director Okowita
- Set Decorator Brian Kasch
- Construction Coordinator Keith Cox
- Property Master Dave Robinson
- Costume Designer Sara Markowitz
- Costume Supervisor Laurie L. Hudson
- Make-up Carla Roseto Fabrizi
- Hair Annette E. Fabrizi
- Make-up/Hair Assistant Linda A. Vallejo
- Gaffer Robert Ferrara
- Key Grip Joseph A. Kelly
- Sound Mixer Walter Hoylman
- Boom Operator Walter Charles Gorey
- Transportation Coordinator Steve Boyd
- Transportation Captain Gregg van Dyke
- Location Manager Steve Share
- Casting Assistant Elaine J. Huzzar
- Production Controller Nowell B. Grossman
- Production Coordinator Joseph Montrone
- Production Secretary Lori Tulli-Mitchell
- Script Supervisor Jane Goldsmith
- Orchestrations Angelo Badalamenti
- Assistant to Mark Frost: Paula K. Shimatsu-U.
- Assistant to David Lynch: Debby Trutnik
- Assistant to Gregg Fienberg: Suzanne Hargrove
- Post-Production Assistant Chris Brown
- Post-Production Coordinator John Wentworth
- Music Editor Lori L. Eschler
- Assistant Music Editor Alexis Seymour
- Assistant Editor
- Ken Blackwell
- Pamela Reisenleiter
- Supervising Sound Editor Matthew Sawelson
- Sound Effects Editor John Haeny
- Re-recording Mixers
- Gary Alexander
- Adam Jenkins
- Assorted Wardrobe provided by
- The Greif Companies
- Extras Casting Superior Casting, Inc.
- Marine Coordination by Motion Picture Marine
- Titles and Opticals by Pacific Title
- Color by de luxe (R)
- Telecine and Electronic Post Production: Encore Video
- Telecine Colorist: Drew Marsh
- Post Production Sound and Sound Effects provided by TODD-AO/Glen Glenn Studios
Shooting script differences Edit
- Deleted the scene with Jerry doing an indian dance to Audrey to Johnny
- The script uses "Emerald" as the name of Invitation to Love's Jade