The "Giant" was a spirit or spirits associated with the Black and White Lodges, one of whom frequently appeared to FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper in visions. The Giant provided Cooper with clues that directly led him to solve the murder of Laura Palmer.
Apocryphal stories of giants abounded in Native American lore. Chief Twisted Hair of the Nez Perce described to Meriwether Lewis a tribe of very tall white men who lived above White Tail Falls in a sacred grove, who had given his people at least three sacred artifacts. One of these was a gold and green ring.
In March 1989, a Giant, resembling a nearly ten-foot-tall man, appeared at the Great Northern Hotel in FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper's room to tell him three things that he said would come true: "there's a man in a smiling bag," "the owls are not what they seem," and "without chemicals, he points." He then took Cooper's ring and said he would give it back when these things came true. He also said "Leo locked inside hungry horse" and that there was a clue at Leo's home. After telling the special agent he would require medical attention for his gunshot wound, he disappeared.
The next night, he appeared to Cooper again to tell him that he forgot to tell him something. Cooper mentioned the smiling bag to be true. The Giant then said that one person had seen the "third man" and that three people had seen him, but not his body. He then told Cooper he forgot something and disappeared.
The Giant appeared to Cooper onstage at the Roadhouse as he danced with Annie Blackburn, and was discussing having her join the Miss Twin Peaks competition. The Giant waved his arms back and forth and saying, "No," as if warning him.
Behind the scenesEdit
Cultural references Edit
- The Finnish Doom metal band Swallow the Sun's song The Giant refers to this character. Their album Ghosts of Loss also mentions Laura Palmer in another song.
- The outro track Transmission 3 after the song What Does Your Soul Look Like (Part 1 - Blue Sky Revisit) on the album Endtroducing..... by DJ Shadow samples the voice of the Giant.
- The Giant's words to Cooper in the hotel bedroom are sampled on the classic ambient album Substrata by Biosphere. The phrase "Sorry to wake you... I forgot to tell you something... The things I tell you will not be wrong..." appears in the song 'The Things I Tell You'.
- In the Simpson's episode, Lisa's Sax, Homer is seen watching Twin Peaks in which The Giant is dancing with a white horse. Homer's response to this is "Brilliant, heheh!...I have absolutely no idea what's going on.".
- "Diane..." - The Twin Peaks Tapes of Agent Cooper (Mentioned only)
- Twin Peaks – season 2